July 24, 2018
The Future of Major Gifts and Estate Pledges is Now
Instead, wake up and smell the benefits of a well-conceived major gifts and estate pledges program. Those who do will succeed well into the future; those who don’t will continue to slog in the fundraising doldrums of mediocrity.
Wise nonprofits consider the long game of a blended gifts fundraising program to include a results-oriented, forward-thinking estate pledge and major gift fundraising plan. There are plenty of educational tools out there to get any nonprofit started using savvy fundraising strategies.
There are ardent donors who want to make a future gift now as well as a current impact gift. There are prospects who may not be in a position now, but who will be estate pledge donors down the road. Identify who these people are, and work an individualized plan.
Don’t assume the board knows
The shopkeepers will need training, too. An educated board is the best ally any nonprofit can have when it comes to undertaking a successful major gift and estate pledges program. Watch for the “aha” moments, then harness the energy.
Don’t kick yourself years from now, when you will surely need funding as well. Let this be a cautionary tale: estate pledges and major gifts are the future of fundraising. Patient, consistent cultivation over time can make all the difference in turning enthusiastic supporters into full-fledged philanthropists who will impact your mission now and later.
Next stops on the road to achieving Hartsook’s mission of growing philanthropy by 25 percent in the next 20 years:
August 15, 2018
Relationship Fundraising 3.0
August 17, 2018
2018 Berkeley Summer School in Environmental and Energy Economics
Field Experiments in Environmental and Resources Economics
August 23-31, 2018
September 11, 2018
2018 University of Chicago
Science of Diversity & Inclusion Initiative Conference
September 19-20, 2018
Science of Philanthropy Initiative Conference 2018
September 26-29, 2018
American Association for State and Local History Annual Meeting
Donor-Focused Fundraising: Letting Research Guide Your Organization’s Philanthropy
Matthew J. Beem
Debbie Bass, National WWI Museum and Memorial
October 5-6, 2018
Advances with Field Experiments
October 16-18, 2018
University of Basel
8th Bernoulli Lecture for the Behavioral Sciences
February 7-8, 2019
LSE Annual Behavioural Public Policy Lecture
Resources for Smart Fundraising Available on Kindle
Keep up to date on the latest fundraising trends with the Kindle ASR Media collection:
- Reality Fundraising – Ideas, insights and lessons learned through hundreds of best practices from nonprofit professionals nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- Fundraising Leadership – The definitive source for empowering board members to become pro-active fundraising leaders by Karin L. Cox
- Getting Your Ducks in a Row – A tool box of strategies for effective campaign fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Million Dollar Gifts – Real-life stories of million-dollar gifts that will amaze and inspire your fundraising by Bob Hartsook
- Closing that Gift – “29 secrets” to closing a gift and avoiding the top 10 solicitation mistakes by Bob Hartsook
- Performance-Driven Fundraising – Handy, yet entertaining reference tool for new and seasoned fundraisers by Matthew J. Beem
- Nobody Wants to Give Money Away! – Stories, humor and more than two decades of fundraising experience in which Bob explores the nine fundraising truths essential to success by Bob Hartsook
- On The Money! – An enlightening collection of success stories and lessons learned from nonprofit fundraising campaigns nationwide by Bob Hartsook
- $231 Billion Raised and Counting – by Bob Hartsook, Matthew J. Beem, Karin Cox and over a dozen Hartsook consultants and clients. Hartsook shares stories and “Strategies for Success” that will educate and inspire
Book of the Month
Getting Your Ducks in a Row! Proven Strategies for Exceeding Your Capital, Endowment and Operating Campaign Goals (ASR Media) brings together authors and resources, providing a toolbox of strategies for campaign fundraising. Go here to order the book.
On the Web
|Timely Tips and Tweets! Follow us on Twitter at HartsookTips for tips and giveaways.|
|Facebook: Become a Fan and a Friend. Fundraising tips, event photos, news and updates – see what’s new at Hartsook by becoming a fan of us on Facebook. Friend Hartsook Founder and Chair Bob Hartsook, CEO Matthew J. Beem, and Chief Creative Officer Karin Cox for even more updates!|
Visit the Hartsook website for:
– Educational opportunities
– Books/reference articles
– Conference/workshop speakers
Strategies for Success explores smart ideas, connecting with thousands of fundraising professionals. We welcome your best practices contributions or comments. Send to Strategies for Success editor Karin Cox, [email protected]. If you’d like a free subscription to Strategies for Success or its monthly companion, eHartsook on Philanthropy, contact [email protected].