Experienced manager in market analysis, business development, marketing, marketing communications, project management, and IT operations in a variety of environments including entrepreneurial startups, non-profits, open source projects, governmental and academic bureaucracies, and Fortune 500 companies. Skilled at understanding technology implications for consumer and business markets, identifying business development opportunities, and communicating product functionality to consumer markets.
Marketing Consultant (The Hartsook Letter) — 2007 – Present
Providing marketing, research, and communications services and support for SMB clients including a variety of projects involving marketing communications, website development, social media marketing, business analysis, technical and cost proposals. Create and maintain blogs, websites, and social media accounts for multiple clients with attention to SEO. Specialize in WordPress website development.
Communications Manager, Sakai Foundation — 2009 – 2010
Responsible for both internal and external communications for the Sakai Foundation.
- Owned the content for the Sakai website (http://sakaiproject.org) and the overall organization of the project wiki and other communication vehicles for Sakai. Managed website redesign and rollout project switching platform to Drupal.
- Promoted Sakai through social networking media including blogs, mail lists, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook groups.
- Created promotional and collateral materials for the Foundation membership drive and conference sponsorships.
- Assisted with planning and coordination for the annual conference.
- Responsible for responding to requests for information regarding the Foundation, academic and commercial partnership programs, and product features and functionality.
Marketing Specialist, Open Source Applications Foundation — 2001–2007
OSAF is a 501©3 non-profit foundation developing open source software. Provided marketing services for OSAF’s startup software project, including:
- Marketing communications — creating and editing content and tracking the public OSAF web sites, blog, and wiki, and handling press inquiries.
- Designed and created on-line end user documentation
- Market research and analysis to define the product feature set and road map,
- Liaison and reporting activities for academic consortia and granting institutions;
- Open source community building, planning and coordinating internal and public events
- Product branding and naming projects; trademark analysis and filing
Vice President (various positions), MyPoints/Cybergold — 1998 – 2001
VP Marketing, Cybergold Division – MyPoints/United New Ventures - 2000 — 2001
MyPoints, Inc. acquired Cybergold in August 2000 reducing staff and making a drive for profitability.
- Created programs that improved member value and reduced acquisition costs by 23% from $1.10 to $.76.
- Developed financial scenarios and pro forma term sheets positioning Cybergold for acquisition.
- Participated in integration project merging Cybergold’s 9.5 MM with MyPoint’s 9 MM members.
- United New Ventures acquired MyPoints, Inc. in July 2001 and shutdown the Cybergold program. Managed orderly shutdown process for website to minimize negative member and client experience.
VP Information Services – Cybergold - 2000
Company restructured after acquiring another incentives company promoted to VP of Information Services.
- Supervised IT Department including PC and software purchases, LAN/WAN support, network backup, VPN, enterprise application management, Nortel telephone system, and the office security system.
- Supervised Decision Support Department. Developed analytical support tools including a marketing datamart using OLAP analytics, and web log analysis.
VP Membership Marketing & Analysis; Member Acquisitions — Cybergold - 1999
- Provided analysis of the membership and transactional database for the executive team. Developed a set of key metrics including a Member Value Index to provide weekly dashboard reports.
- Instituted membership acquisition promotional campaigns included sweepstakes and other on and off-line promotions. In three months, doubled membership growth to 1 million members/quarter.
- Supervised Customer Service Department. The 20 member staff provided e-mail and telephone support to Cybergold’s 9 million members in their incentives reward and redemption transactions.
VP Business Development — Cybergold — 1998
- Created new business models and applications based on market trend analysis.
- Secured pioneering, strategic, on-line partnerships for Cybergold’s core technologies.
- Managed complex customer relationships including MBNA Bank, AOL, Maritz and Quintel/Qwest.
- Prototyped internet incentive and micropayment business models with early adopter customers.
Vice President, IPT, Inc. (publishing/prepress software) — 1997 – 1998
- VP Business Development. Developed co-marketing and strategic alliance relationships for color calibration system. Designed marketing materials and represented company at public events.
Vice President, Apple Computer — 1996 –1997
- VP Marketing Analysis and Research. Managed staff of six analysts. Provided competitive and market analysis. Coordinated company-wide market research efforts.
Consultant and Editor, The Hartsook Letter (market research) — 1991 — 1996
- Independent Macintosh analyst, consultant, editor, publisher of The Hartsook Letter Newsletter and Report.
- Quoted frequently in media ranging from the Macintosh trade press to NY Times and Newsweek.
- CMP Publications rated The Hartsook Letter one of the top five PC industry newsletters in the US in 1996.
Program Manager, International Data Corporation (market research) - 1990 — 1991
- Managed the Macintosh Research Program in the Desktop Computing Group. Gathered and analyzed data and wrote market and competitive analysis reports.
Consultant (Self employed) –1989 — 1990
- Assisted companies, with marketing, training, technology evaluations and PC systems implementation.
Director, TOPS Division/Sun Microsystems — 1986 — 1989
- Director, Strategic Alliances. Established and maintained alliances with other companies including comarketing, OEM, product licensing; and technology acquisitions.
President, Information Management Applications — 1982 — 1987
- Consulting firm provided PC implementation strategies, data communications and networking support, training, and software applications development.
Assistant Director, Howard University Libraries — 1981 — 1983
- Managed seven branch libraries, served on Director’s Council as specialist for technology applications, specialist for contracting support services; and project manager for library renovations.
Project Manager, Information Planning Associates — 1978 — 1981
- Library Systems consultant. Managed library/information management support contracts with Federal agencies including Office of the President, DOL, HUD, Social Security, NIH, and Forest Service.
- C.L.S. (Certificate in Library Sciences — Management) U.C. Berkeley (Theory of Administration, Systems Analysis, and Special Problems in Librarianship)
- M.L.S. (Masters of Library Science) U.C. Berkeley
- B.A. (Biological Science) U.C. Berkeley
References available upon request.